Thursday 16 October 2008

Twist and Shout

I had a bit of a redesign after being rather unhappy in how messy things were becoming trying to handle the 10-bit masking and hashing, and the subsequent overlapping instruction handling that it required. I decided to add the responsibility of registering opcodes down to the individual instruction classes. This means they can correctly register for the range of opcodes they will handle in full 16-bit glory. It also means these are stored in a 16-bit look up table, directly indexed by the opcode itself. No hashing or maps required and no autoboxing of opcode values to store and retrieve the instruction classes.
The CPU instructions are all loaded dynamically via a configuration file too, so different 680x0 family processors or opcode implementations can be configured quickly.

Yay.

Apart from imminent RSI things have gone well. The disassembler is very nearly done, I'm debugging at the moment. I really want to add a lot more unit tests though, as in my coding frenzy I have been a bit lax in that department.
Once the debugging is complete and I'm happy it's disassembling correctly I'll post the code on the google code project and make a compiled version available too.

Double Yay.

No comments: