Friday 28 November 2008

Running on Mac OS X

As I had a bit of time to kill this morning I thought I'd try running the speed test on my MacBook Pro.

At the moment I'm doing all of the development on my Windows XP box as that is my main machine at home and has a lovely 24" monitor attached to it. My Mac is my portable work machine and until I can afford a Mac Pro for home I have to use both XP and OS X.

Bear in mind that at the moment there are no "external" interrupts on the CPU as it's only executing the ROM code. There is no display, sound or DMA functionality at work here either, just the CPU reading and writing to memory and executing code.
Also bear in mind that this hasn't been optimised at all, other than removing the logging from the memory access code.

My Windows box is home built with an Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz and 3.5Gb RAM. It's running XP Pro SP3 and I'm using Java version 1.6.0_07 32-bit Client VM.

My Macbook is an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.5Ghz with 4Gb RAM. It's running OS X 10.5.5 with Java version 1.6.0_07 64-bit Server VM.

The Mac is running Miggy at a rather pleasing 85Mhz !

So, I think I'll carry on with the development for now and leave optimising until later as I think there's enough headroom there to emulate the other components. Time will tell.

2 comments:

thomas said...

I've just spent an evening reading through your progress reports, and I have to say you are making amazing progress for the two months you've been working on this!

Keep up the good work! And you've inspired me to go back to a little side project that I've already given up on several times since it is plain crazy... I always wanted to try and do a 68k emulation in JavaScript - not for any kind of performance records, but mostly to give myself a damn good reason to warm up my rusty 68k assembly skills. :-)

I'll probably be looking at some of your code for inspiration on how to handle the 68k registers and flags. From what I can see your code is eminently more readable than some of the other emulators I've looked at.

t0ne said...

Thanks for the kind words thomas, it is very motivational to receive comments like yours.
One of my aims was to make the codebase "readable". It's more difficult that it first seems as there is a lot of trial and error and it's easy to let the code become a mess. Mine still needs a lot of tidying up.
I look forward to seeing your project, good luck with it.